Re: Laws Outside the U.S.

First, thanks to Mats Bergstrom, Alex de Joode, and Matthew Gream for
posting good essays about the situation in their respective countries.
(And to those who posted earlier...I did not mean to imply in my
posting earlier that nobody had ever described the situations in
non-U.S. countries, only that more such discussions are needed.)

Phil Karn writes:

> We really ought to know what the French law says, given that the US
> government keeps citing it as precedent for a western country to
> regulate cryptography.

Indeed. One of the mysteries is why so few French are on our list...I
can't recall any, actually. Their country has some of the most
draconian laws, it is alleged, and, as Phil notes, an active SDECE
industrial espionage unit.

(I have no dislike for the French, by the way. I lived outside Nice
for more than a year. Don't ask me to translate the documents, though,
as that was 30 years ago and I was in an American school and learned
very little French.)

--Tim May

[email protected]       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Cypherpunks list: [email protected] with body message of only:
subscribe cypherpunks. FAQ available at ftp.netcom.com in pub/tcmay