crypto game idea

Crypto-Magic: The Gathering

I was recently introduced to the card game Magic: The Gathering.  Today
over lunch, I realized that this game could be transformed into an ideal
networked crypto-game.  Why ideal?  Magic is a really popular game right
now and a network version would require a lot of the crypto technology
discussed on this list.  So, it's ideal for the purpose of getting crypto
into popular use.

Brief description of game:  Magic is entirely based on cards.  There's no
dice or board or game pieces.  Each card represents a creature, an
artifact, a magical ability, or something else (like land).  Some cards a
common, some uncommon, some very rare.  Players each have their own deck
of cards which they assemble from a larger collection of cards before the
start of the game.  They take turns drawing cards from their deck,
revealing some (invoking their power), keeping others in their "hand"
until later.  A player wins when they kill their opponent's "army" (or
render it leader-less).

Where's the crypto?

In my mind, the cards must be handled kind of like digital money.  You
have to have a way of authenticating cards (can't have players forging new
creatures) and you have to have a way of preventing players from
duplicating powerful, rare cards.

These constraints imply there is some bank-like agency that creates and
signs "official" game cards.  They could sell them for real digital cash,
or Tacky Tokens, or whatever.  The "bank", or another third-party service,
might have to participate in the play of a game to enforce the
constraints.

It's not really like digital money, of course, but it would require
protocols at least as sophisticated.

I haven't thought about this beyond what I've just described, but it seems
like a promising idea.  Somebody could probably make money at it, if they
wanted to.  Too bad I'm to busy.

[email protected]