re: PGP DLL, library

Cypherpunks,

I see some people thinking about encryption API's and related code.  I
suggest interested parties take a look at Pr0duct Cypher's PGP Tools
and RSAREF.

PGP Tools is based on PGP 2.3a, and provides a library of routines
upon which applications can be built (magic money for example).

RSAREF provides 15 or 18 routines which provide various services, such
as encryption, key generation, digital signatures, hashes, etc.  I'm
not saying necessarily use RSAREF due to licensing restrictions, but
take a look at it's overall design.

And there is other code available at ripem.msu.edu for example.

I know there is a tendency/desire to support PGP, but I think anybody
who wants to create a PGP DLL/library version will have to be part of
the PGP development team, since PGP is a fairly fast moving target.  I
don't know what is in store for PGP's future, but future enhancements
will probably include PEM support (or whatever standard becomes
popular), a new format for keyrings, an API, larger key sizes, etc.

I mean, by the time you "update" the current version of PGP to a
DLL/library version, a new version will appear which may be very
different.

I guess what I'm saying is either roll your own encryption, join the
PGP development team, or wait patiently.