Re: Cash

Fri, 18 Nov 94 11:25:55 PST Dana Albrecht writes:
>In article [email protected], [email protected] (Eric Fredricksen) writes:
>> Anarch ([email protected]) wrote:
>> : They're in tens, too (don't know about ones and fives).  I've never been
>> : able to remove one completely, but I've exposed the ends.  Do you know
>> : how many there are in each bill, and where?  I know in tens there's at
>> : least one, about a fifth of the way in from the left side (looking at
>> : the front).
>>
>> They're easy to remove.  Just rip the bill diagonally from the edge to
>> the strip on either side of it, and pull the little triangle you just
>> made.  The strip comes with it. Show it to your friends.
>>

>Assuming this is true, it would seem that even good, old fashioned,
>paper currency doesn't provide the level of anonymity that one
>would think.  Scary...
>
>Dana W. Albrecht
>[email protected]

The plastic strips are not in fives or ones, but are in tens and higher.
All the strip says is USA and give the dollar amount in metallic ink.

Fri, 18 Nov 1994 11:55:46 -0700, Jamie Lawrence writes:
>Also, realize that some places to look for that strip and if you
>pull it it might not be accepted (most places that check only look
>at $50s and $100s, though).
>
>-j

What would be interesting to note is whether it is *illegal* to remove the
strips.  I don't think that banks, et al. would seriously refuse to accept
this money as a deposit (or for change, etc.) simply because at the moment
there is too much pre-1991 money floating about, and it would be cumbersome
to check each and every piece of currency.

Then again, I've often tried to get pre-1991 money simply because I do not
wish to deal in post-1991 dollars with strips (humor me) and have been told
by tellers that they have no pre-1991 money.

              _/ All men recognize the right of revolution; that is, the
right to refuse allegiance to, and to resist the government, when its
tyranny or its inefficiency are great and unendurable.  From Thoreau's
"Civil Disobedience"