Re: Freenet Remailers

In article <[email protected]>, you wrote:
> Name withheld on request writes:
> > Most Freenets (at least Toronto, Buffalo do) use a generic type of software,
> > Freeport, developed by the Cleveland Freenet. I'd need other's comments
> > as to how easy it is to configure the remailer software to integrate with
> > the Freeport software that you get a working remailer.
> >
> > If that step is possible, then yes, it is certainly possible to set up a
> > guerilla remailer.
>
> OK, can you (or someone else) tell us more about this Freeport mail app ?
> On which platform(s) does it run ?  Can it be (or could it be arranged to be)
> found on a FTP site somewhere ?
>
> -L. Futplex McCarthy	"...so cool & calculated alone in the modern world"

This was the most informative info I could find on the gophers. I have sent
mail to [email protected] to get more specifics. I will post them
when they come in.

                         ----------------------
                         Understanding FreePort
                         ----------------------

                             Andrew Patrick
                        National Capital Freenet
                             August 18 1993

                      History of FreePort Software

- - developed at CWRU by a variety of people

- - design objectives
	- use standard Unix software where possible
	- use network environment & multiple servers
	- easily configurable and expandable
	- portable to different environments (BSD Unix)

- - various "flavours" now available (contact NPTN)
- - NCF has made extensive local changes, and will continue to diverge

                    Overview of Software Components

Themes
	- software not complicated (shell scripts and C)
	- small modules for special functions (Unix tradition)
	- 8 inter-related "systems" for different functions

	Initialization System
		- BBmenu
		- BBguestmenu

	Menu System
		- menu (main interface, calls other modules)
		- (view files)

	Mail System
		- m2mbox (put incoming mail in user's home directory)
		- mr (mail reader)
		- addr (try to confirm addresses)
		- BBmail (send the mail via sendmail)
		- forward (create "legal" .forward files)
		- mexpire (expire mail older than 30 days)
		- mquota (implement mail box quotas)

	Bulletin Board System
		- Usenet C News with local changes (e.g., moderators)
		- BBpost (posting front-end)
		- newspost (posting)
		- nr / mgnr (news reader - single or multiple groups)

	Editing System
		- ce (a version of Emacs)
		- pico (simple editor)
		- ispell (interactive spell checker)

	Work Directory System
		- dired (full-screen directory tool)
		- ups (deliver files between users)
		- kermit & xyz-modem (transfer between user & FreeNet)

	Internet Access System
		- telnet (login to other hosts)
		- gopher (library services)
		- IRC (real time conversations)

	Administration System
		- msglib (server/clients log usage and error messages)
		- bbinfod (server/client to monitor who is logged in)
		- who (report who is logged in)
		- pmdb (database of users with interests, locations, etc.)
		- fullname (report users name given ID)
		- umatch (find a user by pattern)
		- su (take on alternate identity)

                            Lessons Learned

- - explore various "flavours" available
- - explore alternative packages
- - message and info daemons problematic
- - ease of use and success determined by specialized services (e.g.,
    BBS, file transfer, editors)
- - get automatic registration service early
- - be prepared for heavy load early (e.g., psuedo-terminals)
- - news readers assume network configuration (NNTP), inefficient with
    local spool
- - requires expertise in number of areas
- - be careful of trade-offs between functionality and ease-of-use, power
    users and novices
- - operating a modem & communications software a very difficult step for
    many new users (terminal configuration)

                 Criteria for Developing Other Modules

- - must be VERY easy to use & have good user documentation
- - no unauthorized shell access (including pipes and filters)
- - all reads and writes to $HOME/work
- - all files in $HOME/work visible (no .newsrc)
- - all errors trapped, all temporary files cleaned

                           Future Directions

- - multilingual support
- - client/server model
	- more power at users' end, but what is standard?
	- could work for mail & BBS systems
	- will not work for Internet services
- - broadcast systems (1.5 way interaction)

Most religions do not make men better, only warier.
                        --Elias Canetti--

[email protected]                   | "...vidi vici veni" - Overheard
                                       | outside a Roman brothel.
PGP encrypted mail is accepted and     |
preferred.                             | Change is the only constant in the
                                       | Universe..."Four quarters, please."
E-mail [email protected] for PGP Key or   |
Finger [email protected]     | Smile!! Big brother is watching.