(Fwd) Re: NSA seems to be lobbying against bank use of triple-DES

Forwarding Cyberia-L mail by: [email protected] (David
Cain) on Wed, 23 Nov  7:8  AM
-------------------

 John Thomas writes:

> It's clear that NSA is opposed to triple-DES because it
cannot break it.
> I'm not supprised the banks are going ahead even if
triple-DES cannot be
> exported; it will be trivial to develop the hardware
overseas, since all
> the algorithms are public.

Although NSA will neither confirm nor deny <grin> one of the
fundamental principles of cryptography is that any encryption
system which cannot be broken is also inefficient - like the
one-time-pad.  NSA may be concerned with allocation of CRAY
resources, but I doubt they are concerned about the viability
of breaking triple-DES.

One of the most important concepts of cryptography is that
false security is worse than poor security, for if you are
aware of a system's vulnerability, you can guard the weak
points.  NSA's point that layering encryptions not only doesn't
strengthen the security, but may create patterning that is more
susceptible to differential analysis than a single DES pass, is
an important one.  More is frequently less in crypto.

Now, I have no more insight into NSA motivations than the next
shmoe, but the objections they raise are legitimate from a
security standpoint.

As for independent creation in Europe, there is a component to
"real" hardware DES which is classified.

dc
Primary Examiner USPTO
Cryptography

  David Cain                   *
  Speaking for no one          *  Escape to find the shining
light   [email protected]              *   Borne within evolving
sight  [email protected]           *