whats all this nonsense

I just signed onto this list. What the hell is all this nonsense that I hear
about mandating PGP signed messages?

I thought the whole grassroots crypto thing was about protecting privacy
rights and individual liberty and all that. So what if someone wants to
post a message to cypherpunks AND DOES NOT WANT ANYONE TO BE ABLE TO
PROVE THEY WROTE THE MESSAGE. Whether because they fear legal prosecution,
or some other social consequence down the line, or whatever. It's everyone's
personal choice whether they want their name nailed down unmistakably to
given messages of personal/political/WHATEVER nature. It seems heinously
against the spirit of this list to mandate that pople append an unforgeable
digital signature to everything they feel like saying to the list so that
anyone, anywhere can prove that they said a particular thing at a partic
time. If you have a problem with what someone said and want to verify its
authenticity, why not just send them an email and ask them to sign
the message personally?

Tom