Re: Scalability of Ecash System / Article on Internet Cash available.

Filched from buyinfo, where they've been talking a lot about e$ lately...

>From: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: Scalability of Ecash System / Article on Internet Cash available.
>To: [email protected]
>Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 16:12:50 +0100 (MET)
>Cc: [email protected]
>
>I noticed that the discussion is currently about the e-cash system of
>DigiCash. Some good issues have been raised in the discussion, and I
>would like to comment in detail about my own opinion in these matters.
>As it so happens, I recently wrote an article that addresses in detail
>each of the raised concerns, and for this reason it seemed easiest to
>simply make this article available by ftp. So I did. The paper is
>entitled "Electronic Cash on the Internet," and will appear in the
>Proceedings of the Internet Society 1995 Symposium on Network and
>Distributed System Security, San Diego, California, Februari 16-17,
>1995. To retrieve it: log in anonymously at ftp.cwi.nl, and go to the
>directory pub/brands.  There you will find the paper, in both dvi and
>PostScript format (and Unix-compressed formats). The paper contains
>several drawings; if you want to have the complete paper, including
>the pictures, then you *must* retrieve the PostScript version. I made
>a particular effort to explain the concepts behind the system (many of
>which are due to Chaum); see Section 3, it is about five pages with no
>math.
>
>  Short abstract of the paper: It is generally realized that the Internet
>  will not be able to offer full-fledged electronic marketplace
>  capabilities without a suitable electronic mechanism for processing
>  payments. The electronic payment mechanism that is presented offers a
>  variety of features that are believed to be particularly appealing in
>  this respect.
>
>  To participate, an Internet user must interface to his computer a
>  tamper-resistant device with an ordinary 8-bit microprocessor,
>  typically a PCMCIA card, and install some software. Internet service
>  providers do not need special hardware. Payments can be made
>  completely *off-line*, and are untraceable and unlinkable.
>  Multi-party security is guaranteed without parties having to trust
>  other parties.  Transaction processing speeds are such that even
>  modestly equipped computers will be able to meet the performance
>  levels required by demanding Internet payment applications.  One
>  particularly interesting such application is click-and-pay ability
>  when travelling World-Wide-Web links.
>
>The presented approach may seem to be less attractive than many other
>proposals, because it requires tamper-resistant hardware for the
>users. In the longer run, though, when the use of e.g. smart cards for
>electronic payments has become commonplace, the advantages in my
>opinion will significantly outweigh this objection. What will remain
>are the advantages: click-and-pay ability to make instantaneous
>off-line payments, the ability to cost-effectively serve tens of
> [...]

Robert Hettinga  ([email protected]) "There is no difference between someone
Shipwright Development Corporation     who eats too little and sees Heaven and
44 Farquhar Street                       someone who drinks too much and sees
Boston, MA 02331 USA                       snakes." -- Bertrand Russell
(617) 323-7923