Re: First Virtual?

	I saw a presentation Monday by Nathaniel Borenstien of First
Virtual.  While I agree that there is a strong need for a good digital
cash system, FV is not attempting to fill that niche.

	FV is a credit card clearing system for the internet.  Its
current system is designed for small transactions involving
information resources.  It is not intended to be used for selling
physical objects of value.

	As such, it forces the merchant to assume risks, in that the
buyer has two opportunities to turn down a transaction.  (When it is
mailed to them, and when the credit card statement arrives.)  That
second opportunity to decline charges also adds to the security of the
system.  I won't say its good or perfect, but it does add something.
FV really isn't taking much risk, or making much profit in their
$.29+2% transaction fees.

	FV plans to make its money in other ways.  They simply needed
a way to collect credit card numbers to make those other ways work.
They decided to make that means of payment generally available, and,
while hackable, it is better than credit card numbers.  (Those who
would suggest PGP encryption should take careful note of how much
trouble psuedo-mandating signing of posts is creating here.)

	The other ways FV plans to make money are providing
information services, such as joke of the day.  Others were not
mentioned, and in fact, when someone asked, Nathaniel was avoiding the
question when I said they'd be providing jotd, at which point he said
yep.  He was pretty admant about not talking about vapor.

	If you get a chance to hear him, do.  It was very interesting,
and afterwards, off the record, he might have some interesting things
to say.

Adam