signature checking at the server

Unbelievably, I don't think this old canard has come up yet in this
discussion.

   I've always perceived
   PGP(Tm) as something I would use when I really had
   something sensitive to send a friend,

If you encrypt only some messages and not others, every use of
encryption will indicate that something significant is going on, which
is a first class message of its own.  Only if all messages to
particular correspondents are encrypted do you reveal no information
about importance.

Encryption still has benefit here, but the argument that it should
only be used when important has no merit.

Eric