Re: (Fwd) Read this, Virus info!!

and Ian Farquhar writes:
>  And pigs fly too.

Laugh if you want, but this has been possible for years under NeXTSTEP. With
it's Display PostScript system and rich text mail reader, it's easy to send a
PostScript trojan horse via e-mail.  As soon as the message is read, the Mail
app tries to display the text and any images inside, which is probably what
it should do.  However, because EPS images are really just PostScript code,
you can do write a PostScript program that does all sorts of nasty things,
which includes reading and writing files, stick an EPS header on it, and drop
it into a mail message.  The recipient's mail reader will cheerfully run the
received EPS image through the PS interpreter...  All of the EPS trojan
horses I have seen do cute, but harmless, things like melt your screen, make
windows fly around, rearrange your dock, or display animation before
returning things to normal, but they could just as easily erase your home
directory or just about anything else.  After this major security hole became
public knowledge, NeXT provided for 'secure' postscript contexts (safe-DPS if
you will) where some of the nastier postscript operators were disabled.

Anyway, it's more than possible, even when the designers didn't originally
bargain for any type of 'enabled mail.'  And with the proliferation of
Display PostScript based X servers and MIME mail tools, and other more
advanced mail systems on other platforms, we will probably see much more of
this type of thing.

andrew