crypto email to France

Hello -

My company would like to be able to send encrypted mail to our office
in Paris.  Strictly inter-company stuff, using PGP for example.  I know
we can buy PGP here, and get it off the net in Europe, thereby avoiding
exporting the technology in either direction...  I've been told by someone
here in the US that France wants control of any use of encryption software
including sending email.  I've also been told by someone in France that
the agency in France is the Service Central de la Securite des Systemes
d'Information (SCSSI), and that they want companies to register with them
for use of cryptographic software.  I've read what I can find on the
net about legalities of using encryption software, and everything concerning
Europe (what little there is) is quite vague.

Does anyone here know any details or where I might find out more about
what, if anything, needs to be done to legally exchange encrypted email
with our office in Paris?

Thanks very much!

Best Regards,

Rebecca Farr				Evolutionary Technologies, Inc.
Systems Administration Group		4301 Westbank Dr. Bldg. B, Suite 100
					Austin, TX  778746
					phone:  512-327-6994 x260
					fax: 512-327-6117
					email:  [email protected]