Re: BofA+Netscape

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Timothy C. May) wrote:

> Netscape is seeking people to write this stuff, as we heard at the
> last Cypherpunks meeting. So, this is the chance for Cyppherpunks to
> see it done right.

Absolutely.  We certainly welcome any level of comments and criticism
about the SSL protocol and our implementation, and we're recruiting
for one or two more security experts to join us -- we'll be doing quite a bit
of more advanced crypto over the next couple years, if all goes well.
If anyone's interested, please drop me a note.

(I should have sent info on what we're doing to this list sooner, btw --
I can only plead being busy as hell for the last 6 months trying to
get the company up and running.)

> I will speculate that Netscape, being a _very_ high-visibility
> company, is in contact with the folks at RSA Data Security about this,
> perhaps even using them to do the integration. (Recall that Bidzos is
> involved in a couple of efforts along these lines.)

They're certainly helping us, reviewing our proposals, etc.

> (Ultra-speculative scenario: If I were the NSA/FBI/COMINT
> establishment, anxious to ensure "escrowed access," Netscape is
> something I'd be looking at. Ultra-speculatively, we should be on the
> lookout for any evidence that Netscape will be deploying any kind of
> "software key escrow" scheme, e.g., any links to the TIS proposals, to
> Denning, etc. "GAKscape"?)

No plans so far...

Marc

--