Re: Articles on RC5 and GOST in January 95 Dr Dobbs Journal

> Ian Farquhar writes:
>  > Around the mid 1980's a rather interesting device appeared.  It was
>  > essentially an automated scanner for high-density barcodes.
>
> A recent mini-article in "WiReD" mentions a barcode-like encoding
> mechanism being promoted by (I think) Xerox.  It's apparently denser
> than barcode and it survives copying well.

The Xerox technology is essentially a series of tiny slashes and
backslashes.  The slashes stand for a 1 and the backslashes a 0 -
or vice-versa.  This gives you a binary data stream that
you can work with.  From what I understand, without looking at them
closely, the area with these slashes looks like a gray screen.

When I first read about this technology a couple of months
ago, it was given as a way that sufficiently smart color
copiers could restore original color to a black and white copy.

Of course there are all kinds of other applications....
Dan Oelke                                  Alcatel Network Systems
[email protected]                             Richardson, TX
http://spirit.aud.alcatel.com:8081/~droelke/