Re: BofA+Netscape

I wrote:
>    Eric, read more, flame less, you might learn something.

Eric Hughes writes
> [...] You did not
> reply to the substance of my own comments.

Because they did not have any substance.  You claimed I was
arguing from libertarian correctness.

This was not the case, as you now implicitly acknowldge
by belatedly addressing the argument I did make instead
of the argument that you alleged I made.

Since you earlier criticized the argument that you thought I made,
instead of the argument that I did make, a reasonable
conclusion is that you did not read it before opening fire.

The short of your argument is that Netscape will fragment the
net by running out there and dumping something in the market
place without consensing with all the big boys.

Bunkum:  Look at the RS232 standard.  Remember how we
were always futzing around trying to make one companies
RS232 talk to another companies RS232.  Similarly
the SCSI-1 standard.

The best way to make standards that stick is for the
front runner to proclaim them from the mountain
by fiat.

If apple and IBM and microsoft got together and agreed
on a standard:

1.  We would all be old and grey.
2.  They still would not interoperate.
3.  Netscape would not be out there doing really cool stuff
    and promising to bring crypto to the masses.

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we        James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.            [email protected]