Re: IDEA freeware

On Dec 13,  3:45pm, Tom Jones wrote:
> Subject: IDEA freeware
> Dear Kipp,
>
> Please explain where this "freeware" IDEA code comes from.  IDEA is a
> patented algorithm that cannot be used without a license.  PGP comes
> with a license.  I know of no other code in the US that has such a
> license.

If you are using it for non-comercial use, it's free.

Us commercial gooneys get stuck paying for everything :-|

In any case, here is a useful link:

	http://www.openmarket.com/info/cryptography/applied_cryptography.html

It lists all of the goodies available from bruce schneir's book. Note that most
of the data comes from italy...including DES. ha!

Kipp E.B. Hickman          Netscape Communications Corp.
[email protected]              http://www.mcom.com/people/kipp/index.html