Re: McCoy is Right! New Mail Format to Start Now.

Tim wrote:

[...]
>I think a generation exposed to Mosaic and similar browsers will want
>to find ways to use these windows into the Net for _nearly
>everything_. They will not want to buy or learn separate mail
>programs, negotiate separate accounts, or deal with MIME sorts of
>issues. They will ask for, and get, "gateways" between mail and the
>Web. (Gateways may not be the right word.)

People don't deal with MIME. Computers do. The average user shouldn't be
any more concerned with MIME info than with IP header length. That your
inadequate and buggy mailreader exposes you to the inner workings of MIME
shouldn't be held against the standard.

>My main point is that the most compelling strategy seems to be to
>stick with ASCII for a while, avoid minor-but-painful gains with
>Postscript, Acrobat, Replica, TeX, FrameViewer, etc., and then jump to
>the Web/html/http/blah blah when the time is right.

The two (email and web) are not alternatives, as you have stated in your
What on earth is your problem with MIME? Your posts read like they come
from someone who complains about 8 bit data on the net because everytime
they display it on their terminal it makes strange noises and generally
screws things up.

PLEASE stop using your VTwhatever emulator and you will find that MIME
becomes a non-issue. Out of sight, out of mind. All you will notice is that
all of a sudden you get more out of the net while finding it simpler to
use.

PLEASE! For your benefit and ours.

-- Lucky Green <[email protected]>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.