Re: McCoy is Right! New Mail Format to Start Now.

On Thu, 15 Dec 1994, Lucky Green wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>
> >It may be backward, but it is how a huge fraction of the list accesses
> >the Net. Am I wrong on this? Dial-up access to local POPs is a fact of
> >life for many, many people.

[...]

> >guess is that fewer than 20% of the list are directly SLIP- or
> >PPP-connected, with good access to the tools praised here by Amanda,
> >Perry, you, and others.
>
> I have the same type of shell account with Netcom that you have. However,
> thanks to The Internet Adapter I turned that shell account into a SLIP
> connection. If you have a shell account, you can convert it into a SLIP
> account. It is as simple as that. Not that it mattered much for MIME email.
> Eudora can handle that via dial-up just as well. Sure helps for browsers,
> though. Accessing the web through Lynx is a joke. Even if you have image
> better than Lynx.

So, I'm running a Mac //cx with a shell account at the moment.  I have a
lowly 14.4k connection.

What solution do you have for the user who has no direct connection to
the net, has merely a modem speed bandwidth, and is in a non-isdn area?

I often need to pull large files over 3 megs into my shell account at
high speeds.  (60-100 kb/sec)  Impossible with SLIP.

Are you telling me that I can do this and still have the advantage of SLIP?

Forgive my ignorance, but you'll have to enlighten me.

> >For reasons I just addressed in another post, I foresee being on a
> >dial-up (not a SLIP or PPP, that is) for a while. And I have relatively
> >few complaints about it. My service provider keeps the 9446 current
> >newsgroups, provides ftp and suchlike tools, and I don't have to be a
> >sysadmin. Frankly, if I have to choose between not being able to see
> >someone's MIMEd GIF and becoming a Unix sysadmin for my own site, I'll
> >skip the GIFs.

Same balance for me when it comes to the transfer rate.

> Perhaps we can find some common ground here. You don't want to have to use
> UNIX. You like your Mac, don't you? So why interact with a lousy terminal
> server if you can do all the things you can do there - and more - the Mac
> way? Think about it. All the benefits of a Mac interface without giving up
> the benefits you get from Netcom. (No, I don't work for TIA. I am just a
> VERY satisfied customer.)

So how much am I expected to "shell out" ?

> >I'd like to see some evidence that I am one of the last of my tribe.
> >
> >Call me Ishi.

Sorry Tim, I'm with you.  You're not alone yet.

> You are fighting a lost cause and you know it. VT100 is dead. No, you are
> not the last of your tribe. I should hope that you have the good sense to
> come around before that happens. All your friends here sure hope for it.

I'll come around when I'm sure I'm not losing anything.

Convince me.

> -- Lucky Green <[email protected]>
>    PGP encrypted mail preferred.

073BB885A786F666 nemo repente fuit turpissimus - potestas scientiae in usu est
6E6D4506F6EDBC17 quaere verum ad infinitum, loquitur sub rosa    -    wichtig!