MIME, VT100, SLIP, TIA, And All That

Allow me to inject a "phenomenology of access" to the raging blaze...

I am sitting, at the moment, at a 486DX2/66 running Win 3.1 and PC/TCP.
The Ethernet on this thing is connected (somewhere) to a fiber link which
is itself connected to some serious bandwidth (I believe multiple T3s are
involved).

This is an on-site job I'm doing for my company which is in the process
of wrapping up, so soon I'll be returning to my regular workplace.  It's
running a small net, with a Linux box routing mail via UUCP and SLIP
(depending if someone's decided to pull SLIP up).  We have to use net
tools directly on the Linux box; our other computers (various types and
operating systems, all high-powered) have no ability to access the world
except through mail and the limited feed we can afford.

Finally, as this list is high-bandwidth, my boss has told me to use a
different account for 'punks.  That is a local freenet account, no shell
access, no TIA.  (And before you ask: I do volunteer work for the
freenet, and I know that there are *legal*, not technical, reasons why
things like TIA will never be allowed.)  I must use this through dialup;
I have pine (no elm, no mailx, no mh, no X tools, etc.).  With SLIP, I
can POP my mail somewhere else; I'm getting ready to set up so I can do
this from work, but it's running into bandwidth problems.  There is no
local SLIP provider that provides to home users.  Thus, I am trapped in
a VT100 environment, where a shell would be a great luxury.  If and when
I get SLIP, I'll have to do it on a 386SX/20 with 4M of RAM, not exactly
your speed demon kind of machine.

Many of the people I've talked to, and have convinced that crypto is a
Good Thing(tm), are complete newbies.  They might have a Prairienet
account, they might not.  Most of them are a bit intimidated by PGP,
especially when I start talking to them about the hassles necessary to
get PGP to work with dialup mail.  And I can't blame them; I've yet to
get a good setup running which will allow me to PGP-ize at home through
my dialup, even with Linux running on my poor beast of burden.

My point?  Actually, I've got a few:

1.  While I, too, have experienced the head rush that comes with fully
graphical interfaces to high-bandwidth Net, I am also painfully aware of
the reality that too many people are stuck with less.  Given a few weeks,
I may be one of them, and the prospects of this may be enough to cause me
to, regretfully, follow Tim in his exodus from the list.  (Forget the
problem of signing!)

2.  MIME (the standard) causes my heart to flutter.  It is a wonderful
standard.  The implications are simply staggering, and for more than just
crypto.  I yearn for the day when Joe Average User can experience
Amanda's MIME utopia in the comforts of his/her own home.  It will,
however, be a while before this can become a reality.  Perhaps in
California, where there are POPs every few blocks, it seems silly to
suggest that we limit ourselves to the failings of the VT100; out here in
central Illinois, however, where just establishing a single POP is an
exercise in frustration (you don't want to know how I know this), the
VT100 is here to stay for a long time.

3.  I note with sadness the loss of one of our top propagandists ;-) over
this issue.  I respected his ability to see beyond the glitter of the
possible into the cold darkness of the available, especially considering
his comparative riches access- and hardware-wise.  The issues he raised
about MIME, he did from a personal standpoint, but he also was able to
speak for many who don't have such great access.  Noting the treatment he
was given ("you don't fuckin' know what you're talking about"), I also
wonder about my own fate when I am deprived of my own connectivity
riches; considering that technical reasons alone just might necessitate
my exit from the list, my resolve to stay might be undermined by the
prospect of a list devoted to a technological elitism rather than a
practical and grassroots effort to promote cryptography on all fronts,
whether "technologically challenged" or not.

Tim, I've CCed this to you, frankly, in the hopes that you'll come back
soon.  Not all of us think your middle name is Ludd.  Happy vacation!