Re: Attacking Norton Encrypt

On Fri, 23 Dec 1994 [email protected] wrote:

> Regarding the simple question about Norton Encrypt's security (and ignoring
> the alt.relationship-counsellor interlude), I believe Norton uses DES (for
> 'maximum security' or a 'fast proprietary' method for convenience. I don't
> think it has the usual errors (password stored in ciphertext etc), but a
> brute force attack on DES is beyond the means of most Norton users IAC.

  Pardon me if someone else mentioned this(I just re-subscribed to the
list). If the person in question really wants to read his GF's private
files his best be would be to guess passwords, toss her purse/diary for
the password written down, and all the other basic physical attacks
available to him.

  Moral note: If he feels that this is necessary then this is definatly a
relationship that should not continue(for her sake).

    Brian

"Everyone is a prisoner holding their own key."    | finger [email protected]
    -- Journey                                     | PGP 2.6 email accepted