Re: Breaking into girlfriend's files

On Sat, 24 Dec 1994 [email protected] wrote:

> Date: Sat, 24 Dec 1994 01:59:07 -0800
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: Breaking into girlfriend's files
>
> Responding to msg by Black Unicorn, who is having a bad hair
> day (and so close to Christmas!):

I nominate this for understatement of the season.

> "Had I encrypted with Norton encrypt?  I would have been
> deserving of whatever attack ensued."
>
> Are the cypherpunks all of one mind regarding ideals and
> morality?   Had I inquired of the list how I could break into
> my dearest one's privacy, I would have been deserving of
> whatever commentary ensued regarding the disgusting
> implications of that act.

In my view, this is absolutely so unless it is attached to censorship
guised as moral correction.

As I said, a proper response should have been the technical answer,
followed by sage advice about the legality, and potential moral
implications of use of the information as was proposed.

> "Disgusting.  Get off this list, you belong on
> alt.codependency.recovery, or alt.bleeding.liberal."
>
> (Say - isn't this why Tim left for a bit?   Oh, well.)

It is, and for this I owe the individual and the entire list an apology.

Coupling an argument for censorship with some kind of moral judgement
reacted so fouly with my concept of information freedom that I became
rather enraged.  Not that this excuses my behavior of course.

Lesson learned, wait 20 minutes after composing a message before sending
the final draft.

> "I may disagree with you, but I will defend to the death your
> right to express your [sanctimonious] opinion." (or something
> like that).

How does censorship align with this historic phrase?

Censorship based on opinion of what is and is not appropiate use?

>    ..
> Blanc

-uni- (Dark)

073BB885A786F666 nemo repente fuit turpissimus - potestas scientiae in usu est
6E6D4506F6EDBC17 quaere verum ad infinitum, loquitur sub rosa    -    wichtig!