Re: Making sure a program gets to the receiver intact

On Tue, 27 Dec 1994, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Nesta Stubbs says:
> > One solution, or start of a solution, is to tell the user about the
> > signature checks, and how to go about verifying them in teh README text
> > file, that most users come to expect in a package of software.
>
> And if someone edits that out of the README?

put it int he file that pops up from the FTP server when you switch to
that directory, am not sur what the file is called, but like when you
switch to the pub/Linux directory on sunsite, it gives youa  rundown of
what Linux is and all.  Then the person would hav to hack access to the
FTp server to change that.  And I assume ti is easier for the maintaner
of the FTp site to keep track of that one readme, then it is to keep
track of the readmes in all the ppackages.

i want to know everything          http://www.mcs.com/~nesta/home.html
i want to be everywhere                     Nesta's Home Page
i want to fuck everyone in the world               &
i want to do something that matters         /-/ a s t e zine