Re: Breaking into girlfriend's files

On Tue, 27 Dec 1994, Robert Hettinga wrote:

> Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 18:43:38 -0500
> From: Robert Hettinga <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: Breaking into girlfriend's files
>
> <looks both ways. speaks behind hand to offstage>
>         Psst! Is Tim here?
>         What? He's on vacation?
>         Cool.
> <removes body armor, nomex overalls, and titanium cup... Puts titanium cup
> back in. Adujsts underwear. Taps microphone...>
>
> Ahem.
>
> >   := At 9:52 AM 12/27/94, [email protected]
> >>  := Black Unicorn <unicorn%[email protected]>

[...]

> dmandl> Great, I've always wanted to be a simple input-output machine.
> dmandl>
> dmandl> Pseudo-individualist Republican rubbish...
>
> As a pedigreed piece of Pseudo-individualist Republican rubbish (PIRR)
> myself, I take exception to that remark. Associating noble PIRR with
> pseudonyms named for inappropriately-colored fictional creatures really
> gets my, ahem, goat.

Hey, your talking about a creature that's been in my family for
generations, bub.

> It seems to me the proper answer to the original poster of this thread was
> to greet it with a deafening silence. First, because the answer is trivial
> given the technical level of this list (well, the average technical level,
> anyway) and can be obtained elsewhere. Second, because there is such a
> diversity of ethics, politics, and moral belief on this list, because the
> fundemental nature of the technology we discuss here and its potential
> impact on human society is so great, to address the question on its merits
> would unleash enough verbal flatulatence (including my own, I'm afraid) to
> rival even the best Mel Brooks epic.

Exactly.

> To employ an appropriately PIRR sports metaphor, the question was a pitch
> so *obviously* a slow lob over the plate, such an *easy* target for
> flamage, that it should have been very apparent to anybody here that it
> wouldn't have been fair at all to the pitcher to even swing at it.

*Sound of hammer hitting nail on head*

> Short of letting it fall into the mitt with a dull thud, a pointer to the
> appropriate HAKK3r d00d list would have been the next best thing. This was
> done. Next on the list would be actually answering the question as quickly
> as possible. This was done. (Thank you, Perry.) The quierant will probably
> not be able to execute the proper solution anyway. He'll probably run out
> of steam before executing it, and if he does it anyway, he deserves all the
> shit he'll find himself in upon decrypting those files.  We were all young
> and stupid once. Some of us still are, it appears.

Yes. (To all)

> Cheers,
> Bob Hettinga
>

> P.S.  My apologies to M(s)r. 'Corn if I stepped on he/she/it's er, hooves.
> I meant to cast no asparagas upon he/she/it's choice of nym-name.

His choice of nym-name.  My hooves are tough.
^^^

> Robert Hettinga  ([email protected]) "There is no difference between someone
> Shipwright Development Corporation     who eats too little and sees Heaven and
> 44 Farquhar Street                       someone who drinks too much and sees
> Boston, MA 02331 USA                       snakes." -- Bertrand Russell
> (617) 323-7923

-uni- (Dark)

073BB885A786F666 nemo repente fuit turpissimus - potestas scientiae in usu est
6E6D4506F6EDBC17 quaere verum ad infinitum, loquitur sub rosa    -    wichtig!