Re: PATNEWS: PTO accepting USENET FAQs are formal prior art

Thought I'd pass this on...
-Rishab

[email protected] (Gregory Aharonian) writes:

> !010394  PTO accepting USENET FAQs as formal prior art
>
>      It seems that the US Patent Office is accepting Internet USENET FAQs
> (Frequently Asked Questions - periodic postings on USENET groups with
> questions and answers) as prior art.  As you see in the following entry
> from my software prior art database, one of the Other References is to
> a cryptography FAQ.  If any knows if the European Patent Office is accepting
> USENET FAQs, and has an example, let me know.
>
>      Thus if an examiner objects to your use of a FAQ as prior art, cite
> this patent (NTIPAFCAP*).  It probably would be helpful if the PTO came out
> with a quick guideline to a consistent way of doing so.  I suppose archiving
> FAQs is one more thing I can add to my databases.
>
>      It's nice to see the PTO embracing part of the Internet, even as it
> rejects other parts of the Internet.  Eventually, though, the PTO will have
> to choose one or the other.
>
> Greg Aharonian
> Internet Patent News Service
> (for subscription info, send 'help' to   [email protected] )
> (for prior art search services info, send 'prior' to [email protected] )
> (for WWW patent searching, try  http://sunsite.unc.edu/patents/intropat.html
>                               ====================
>
> TYP[USPAT]
> NUM[5371794]
> ASS[Sun Microsystems]
> CUN[USX]
> ISD[19941206]
> CLS[380/21]
> ART[222]
> LOC[]
> GRG[]
> TIT[Method and apparatus for privacy and authentication in wireless networks]
> ORF[5]
> ORFTXT[
> Authentication and Authenticated Key Exchanges, Authors: Diffie, Oorschot &
>   Weiner, Published by Designs, Codes & Cryptography 2, 107-125,
>   .COPYRGT.1992 Kluwer Academic Publishers.
> The First Ten Years Of Public Key Cryptography, Author: Whitfield Diffie,
>   Reprinted from Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 76, No. 5, May 1988.
>
> Overview of Cryptology: Summary Of Internet Cryptology Frequently Asked
>   Questions (Oct. 1992).
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> The Keys To Privacy and Authentication, Publication by RSA Data Security,
>   Inc., 100 Marine Parkway, Redwood City, Calif. 94065. (Oct. 1993).
> Answers To Frequently Asked Questions About Today's Cryptography, Author:
>   Paul Fahn, RSA Laboratories, 100 Marine Parkway, Redwood City, Calif. 94065
>   (Sep. 1992).
> ]

> (NTIPAFCAP*  =  Not that issued patents are formally citable as precedent).

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh                                "In between the breaths is
[email protected]                                  the space where we live"
[email protected]                                        - Lawrence Durrell
Voice/Fax/Data +91 11 6853410
Voicemail +91 11 3760335                 H 34C Saket, New Delhi 110017, INDIA