Re: A Fire Upon the Deep

On Fri, 6 Jan 1995, Wei Dai wrote:

> There was some recent talk about network agent technology on this list.
> Vinge mentions almost in passing how an entire planet (or maybe planets)
> was taken over by an "intelligent net packet".  Makes me rather nervous
> about things like Magic Cap...

does anynoe have any information about intelligent agents?  I mean I know
about filter and stuff, but they arent intelligent agents.  I assume one
would be something like the WWW worm and other searching scripts that
have a database of information to cross-reference their finds and decide
what to send back to you.  the WWWWorm is a good centralized illustration
of this, with a searchable index of HTML pages.  Or is there osmethign
else that makes upa  "intelligent agent"

> One more thing that's marginally related to cypherpunks (hey I really
> like this book so I'll take any chance I can to talk about it ;-) is
> the idea that the efficiency of distributed computation (and distributed
> intelligence) depends on high bandwidth and low latency of the communication
> medium.  Since anonymity seems to have rather high costs in terms of
> bandwidth and latency (compare anonymous e-mail with internet video
> conferencing or even with normal e-mail), this implies that
> an organization of anonymous agents will not work as efficiently as
> a similar orginzation whose members are not concerned about
> anonymity.

i disagree storngly.  anonimity with almost no increase in latency or
decrease in bandwidth is easily viable.  Especially if it was a group of
coleagues planning to get together, I mean the remailers and stuff are a
different thing altogehter, but ytalk or another confrencing system with
untracable features is no problem, hell just a conference call dialing up
from payphones, ora favorite hacker trick of running a conference of a
COCOT.  etc....

i want to know everything          http://www.mcs.com/~nesta/home.html
i want to be everywhere                     Nesta's Home Page
i want to fuck everyone in the world               &
i want to do something that matters         /-/ a s t e zine