Odd bits, minutinae...

Would *I* abstract an internal communique for a bunch of
net.riffraff? Surely not - you must know me better than that...

[...stuff...]

Search done for  Message:  <<< BELL LABS NEWS >>>
- ----------------
>>> ENCRYPTION -- This week, Bell Labs reported development of the AT&T
Information Vending Encryption System (IVES), a security system that protects
commercial information services -- such as video on demand, home shopping and
banking -- and electronic news and alerting services.  Using chips designed by
Bell Labs and VLSI Technologies, IVES works on various networks including the
Internet, cable TV networks and direct satellite broadcasting.  The first
application of IVES is in set-top cable television boxes being built by AT&T
for Cablevision Systems Corp., the nation's fifth-largest cable service
provider.  By employing secure cryptographic addressing, IVES will assure that
only paying customers receive enhanced pay-per-view and video-on-demand
services.  "There have been effective attacks on most, if not all, video
encryption systems, despite highly sophisticated countermeasures," said Dr.
David Maher, chief scientist for AT&T Secure Communications Systems.  "Hackers
are dedicated and can be well funded.  Incentives are rising rapidly."

[...stuff...]
Dedicated? Definitely. Well-funded? Hmmm.
This item is something for your acronym-scan parsers; will
IVES become interesting? (If not IVES, what of CURRIER? Whoa-
it was a joke, officer - CURRIER and IVES, get it? Oh, shit.)

Search done for  Message:  <<< BELL LABS IN THE NEWS >>>
- ----------------
>>> DNA -- In a bold experiment that provokes investigators to reconsider what
a computer is, a researcher has used the genetic material DNA as a sort of
personal computer.  The experiment's designer, Dr. Leonard Adleman, translated
a difficult math problem into the language of molecular biology and solved it
by carrying out a reaction in one-fiftieth of a teaspoon of solution in a test
tube.  Adleman, of the Univ. of Southern California in Los Angeles, used DNA
to solve a problem that involved finding the shortest path linking seven
cities.  Molecular computers, Adleman said, are fast and efficient, and they
have unheard-of storage capacities.  He said molecular computers can perform
more than a trillion operations per second, which makes them 1,000 times as
fast as the fastest supercomputer.  And they can store information in a
trillionth of the space ordinary computers require.  "It's a very intriguing
idea," said Ron Graham, of the Bell Labs Information Sciences Division at
Murray Hill.  "It's more than just cute.  It makes you think in a different
direction."  (from the Denver Post, Nov. 22, '94)

[...stuff...]
Hmmm. Have you ever been spied on by your own metabolism?
..... YOU WILL.

Then again. maybe not. FYI.

  -Philippe

Philippe D. Nave, Jr.   | Strong Crypto: Don't leave $HOME without it!
[email protected]  |
Denver, Colorado USA    | PGP public key: by arrangement.