Re: Data Havens..A consumer perspective

On Thu, 12 Jan 1995, Censored Girls Anonymous wrote:

> 1. You have what I want or need.
> 2. In order for me to let you store it, I will give it to you
>    anyway you wish to get it.
> 3. I will let you do anything to the data you wish, so long as I
>    get it back intact.

why would you give the haven owner free run?  I mean naturally he does
have free run with your data once he gets it, but a matter of trust, and
encryption protects you marginally.

> 4. It is no concern (only idle curiosity maybe) where the data is parked.

it matters alot too me, that's the security of the dat, what if your data
is sem top secret plan to bomb the pentagon, and you are using the data
haven to distibute to your band of anonymous terrorists, I am sure you
woudln't want your data stored ona  public access Unix system, or in
plaintext.

> 5. I would expect to pay money for the safekeeping of my data.

you casn do this a number of ways if the datahaven is turned into a data
broker, i can pay you for good data otehr would be willing to
buy(Blacknet anyone?) or you could pay me for access to data, or for safe
secure storage and anon transfer of data to other users.

> 6. I would expect the longer you hold the data, the more it will cost.
> 7. The only thing I am counting on is the data's timely retrieval.
> 8. Welcome to the world of data "coatchecking".
>
> Why make it more complex than this?

because it is if you want security, and also to bring in money if that is
a motive.

> For whether it's encrypted to the nth degree, or parked in a plain brown
> wrapper in a massive unix box somewhere, as long as I the haven manager,
> return the data in a safe, timely, uncorrupted manner, I've done my duty.

well what would be thepurpose of this data haven you propose except as a
extra storage pace for data, like if you dont have space on your own
drive?  Your leaving out anon drop boxes, data brokering, or the data
haven serving as a center for black markets.