Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

At 12:01 PM 01/12/95, Hal wrote:
>The idea of offsite storage doesn't seem that helpful since you can just
>store the data on your own disk in encrypted form.  Maybe if encryption
>gets outlawed it would be useful, but then you can't use encryption to
>communicate with the haven.

Hmm. I post through a long anonymous remailer chain to an appropriate newsgroup:
"I have made an archive of state secrets (or trade secrets, for that
matter, or pornography), available on data haven Wherever. Ask to receieve
the following file for a list of contents."

Seems it could be useful. Especially if you had some way of extracting
digicash payment from it, in an anonymous way.  But even if you didn't,
perhaps you want to make this info available as a public service. I sure as
heck wouldn't want it sitting on a hard drive in my bedroom.