Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Paul J. Ste. Marie) wrote:
> At 09:17 PM 1/12/95 -0600, Larry E wrote:
>
> >         (2) legal groups etc. who may try to hold the remailer
> >             liable in some way for what passes through their remailer.
>
> It strikes me that this is a very weak defense.  Legal beagles will probably
> argue that the remailer should have either prohibited encrypted
> communications or else was in collusion with the sending party.

Those who believe remailers are an evil will argue against any
measure that will promote their presence (and I'm not suggesting
you're in that group).

I disagree strongly with their stance.  I would be happy if there
were three of four times as many remailers operating as there are
now.

The issue of whether encryption is a foolproof defense is not the
primary issue.  The issue is: what steps can be taken to improve the
lifespan of existing remailers and promote the addition of new ones.

Resolving the problems that cause remailers to fold will be an
evolutionary process, and no step along that path will be perfect or
resolve all the problems that plague the remailers.

Is encryption a step in the right direction, if an imperfect one?  If
not I hope some other positive steps are proposed soon, else I fear
remailers may face extinction.