Re: Jude Milhon in WIRED

Timothy C. May says:
> I'm not sure what Perry's not having heard of Jude Milhon is supposed
> to mean, or how "Wired" interviewing her is "another example of the
> continuing decay," etc.
>
> In any case, Jude Milhon has been active in the hacker-writer
> community, going back to the 1970s.

Sorry. Everyone seems to be assuring me that I should know her and
that she's a longtime friend of Eric's, but I must admit that I've
no memory of anything she's done. I believe people who say she's the
origin of the term "cypherpunk", but I must admit to still having no
real knowledge of who this person is.

In any case, I apologize for my ignorance and will try be on less of a
hair trigger in the future. However, following a long stream of Wired
interviews of bizarrely marginal community members, I simply assumed
this was Yet Another.

> Anyone who professes to be "disappointed" by "Wired" was clearly taken
> in by their hype.

I'm disappointed by them because they once used to care about getting
facts in articles right and about discussing meaningful issues, and
now they don't. They used to be a cross between the Economist and
Mondo 2000, and now they are just Mondo 2001. When you try to count
inaccuracies on the average page, you run out of interest in
continuing the exercise before you run out of errors. They also used
to have a point of view. They also used to have substantive articles,
and now they have cover stories on "Zippies!"

I'm not renewing my subscription.

Perry