Re: Abuse and Remailer Ethics

At 10:27 PM 1/16/95 -0500, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
> ... So I'm tempted to say "tough luck" to newsgroups that
>don't like receiving anonymous posts. The alternative is for people
>interested to create a moderated newsgroup, where of course the moderator
>could refuse to allow anonymosu posts with or without the remailer
>operators cooperation. ...

Another, and less onerous alternative, is to simply stick encrypted reply-to
blocks on messages to newsgroups.  At that point there's no real difference
between the anon post and a post from a system that doesn't provide real
name<->userid mappings, and the flames can go straight from the newsgroup to
the instigator without involving the remailer op.

    --Paul J. Ste. Marie
      [email protected], [email protected]