Re: The Remailer Crisis

On Thu, 19 Jan 1995, Timothy C. May wrote:

> Well, let's do the math. Since the remailer has to be connected at all
> times, of course, this implies $162 a month in connect charges, over
> and above the other charges. Or $187 a month including the line
> charge. Or $2244 a year.
>
> This makes a "cheap Linux box" almost a moot point. This is a lot more
> than I'm willing to pay to run a remailer.

Best.com offers a dedicated 28.8kB line connection to the internet
with $450 setup charge and $60 a month connect charge.  This
is a permanent connection, not a dial up connection.

This works out to $720 per year, plus setup charge.

This is as cheap as it gets for a box on the internet.

Now this is OK if one wishes to run linux, and have a
remailer as one hobby in addition to the main use of the
box, but it is still a bit much to pay for a dedicated
remailer.

Now I just do not like linux.  Sure it is a great
operating system but it will not run codewright

(Vi causes mental degeneration.  Even though I detest,
loath, and hate vi, vi takes up so much brainspace that
I find myself issueing vi commands in editors that I
use much more, and vastly prefer to vi.  Vi is evil.)

Therefore there is no way in the world I am going to
waste a full internet connection and a PC on linux.

We have the right to defend ourselves     |   http://www.catalog.com/jamesd/
and our property, because of the kind     |
of animals that we are. True law          |   James A. Donald
derives from this right, not from the     |
arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.  |   [email protected]