Re: IRS to keep unreviewable secret dossiers on US citizens

Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> [email protected] says:
> > Excerpts from : St Paul Pioneer Press, Jan 29, 1995
> >
> > Here's the kicker: "Although agency officials concede that some of
> > the data collected will be inaccurate, taxpayers will not be allowed
> > to review or correct it"                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > So much for the FOIA.
>
> The privacy act and FOIA make that more or less illegal -- if they are
> keeping information on you, with certain law enforcement related
> exceptions they have to let you see it.

The articles I've read on this new system ("Compliance 2000") make it
clear that the IRS will be buying data from non-governmental entities,
e.g., the direct marketing databases and the commercial credit
reporting agencies. This neatly skirts the FOIA, as the FOIA cannot be
used to force a private entity or corporation to reveal its own data
(which, as a libertarian, I am glad of....I wouldn't want folks
demanding to sift through my records, files, and dossiers).

This just extends the type of "subcontracting" to nominally private
entities that the intelligence community began many years ago. The
corporation, "Dossiers R Us," will be the "Air America" for our age.

--Tim May

[email protected]       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
                       | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
Cypherpunks list: [email protected] with body message of only:
subscribe cypherpunks. FAQ available at ftp.netcom.com in pub/tc/tcmay