Re: SHA Reference?

> "Perry E. Metzger" <[email protected]> writes:
> apparently also pre-correction. Anyone know the proper reference for
> the corrected text?

I append the latest reference I've seen, posted by Robert Perillo in Aug.
Check rand.org:pub/jim/sha.tar.gz for my latest C code.  An #ifdef will
select the broken or fixed versions.

	Jim Gillogly
	7 Solmath S.R. 1995, 20:25

----------------------------
Federal Register  07/11/94
Citation="59 FR 35317"

[Docket No. 940675-4175]
RIN 0693-AB33

Proposed Revision of Federal Information Processing Standard
(FIPS) 180, Secure Hash Standard

AGENCY: National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST),
Commerce.

ACTION: Notice; Request for comments.

SUMMARY: A revision of Federal Information Processing Standard
(FIPS) 180, Secure Hash Standard (SHS), is being proposed. This
proposed revision corrects a technical flaw that made the standard
less secure than had been thought. The algorithm is still reliable
as a security mechanism, but the correction returns the SHS
to the original level of security.

   The SHS produces a 160-bit output called a message digest
for a message of any size. This message digest can be used with
FIPS 186, Digital Signature Standard (DSS), to compute a signature
for the message. The same message digest should be obtained
by the verifier of the signature when the received version of
the message is used as input to the Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA).
--------------

         Proposed Modification of the Secure Hash Algorithm

In Section 7 of [1](page 9), the line which reads

    b) For t=16 to 79 let W(t) = W(t-3) XOR W(t-8) XOR W(t-14) XOR W(t-16).

is to be replaced by

    b) For t=16 to 79 let
                   W(t) = S1( W(t-3) XOR W(t-8) XOR W(t-14) XOR W(t-16) ).

where S1 is a left circular shift by one bit as defined
in Section 3 of [1](page 6), namely

S1(X) = (X<<1) V (X>>31).

ASCII translator's note : S1 is actually,  S superscript 1.
                          W(t-n) is actually, W subscript, t or t-n.