Re: Encrypted Magazine Subscriptions Via E-Mail?

>>>why Wired ... don't [use PGP] to make subscribing easier?
>>
>> Because if you saw the low-tech state of the Wired office...
>
>Yup, too busy to automate. After all, if they took orders by email,
>they wouldn't need manual intervention. It all makes perfect
>sense. Why spend effort to lower the amount of time their staff need
>to spend on manual tasks? Makes more sense just to remain buried.

That a bunch of their staff is the minimum-wage "gee, look at my Mac" crowd
might have something to do with it.  I was amazed to find out that there
really are two sides to Wired: the professional computer geeks (eg.
Negroponte) and the professional get-a-magazine-out geeks, and the twain
never seem to meet.

Michael Sattler <[email protected]>       San Francisco, California  |
Digital Jungle Consulting Services     http://www.jungle.com/msattler/ |

And so these men of Indostan/ disputed long and loud/ each in his own  |
opinion/ exceeding stiff and strong/ though each was partly right/ and |
all were in the wrong! - John Godfrey Saxe                             |