Re: FW: Edupage 7/9/95 (fwd)

On Tue, 11 Jul 1995, Al Thompson wrote:

> At 10:44 AM 7/11/95 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >
> >Brad Dolan writes:
> >> REGULATING THE INTERNET
> >> Shortly after the Communications Decency Act came before the U.S. Senate.,
> >> Canada's Parliament passed a resolution unanimously committing legislators
> >> to get tough with on-line hate-mongering.  The Simon Weisenthal Centre in
> >> Toronto sent a strongly worded report to federal regulator the CRTC calling
> >> for strict regulation of the Internet.  (Montreal Gazette 7/7/95 B3)
> >
> >I'm happy to see Nazism fought with fascism.
> >
> >.pm
>
> You mean alleged nazism fought with obvious facism.
>
> I've never seen any actual nazism on the net anywhere, but this "strict
> regulation" tactic is obviously fascist in nature.
>
> In fact, the only religious-based hate speech I've ever seen on the net is from
> someone named "windgate" or something who hates Christians and Christianity,
> and
> is more than happy to write about his hatred.  He hangs out in some of the
> 'alt.politics' groups.

You oughta go out and borrow someone's shortwave radio or ham HF radio.
Between 3900 and 3900 KHz every evening, a bunch of guys in the south
(Texas, New Mexico, Arkansas, Louisiana) get on the air and talk about the
"goddamn niggers, jews, and fags that are ruining this country."  All
kinds of folks (meaning non-WASPs, of course) are targeted for this kind
of spew.  Words like "motherfucker" are often used, especially against
"niggers".  The speakers rail against "white women with goddamn niggers",
and any other non-WASP who happens to arouse their ire.

Quite entertaining if you enjoy that sort of thing.  Stomach-turning if
you don't.  Call signs, times and frequencies heard upon request.

This sort of thing has been going on for years.  A few years back, the FCC
attempted to go after a couple of idiots on one of the local LA area 2m
repeaters who were spewing all kinds of filth out onto the air waves.  The
district court said, naaah, that's free speech.

So, if the idiots in Congress want to go after this sort of thing, they
oughts go after the few hams that are ruining the hobby for the rest of
us.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG    			[email protected], [email protected]
801/534-8857 voicemail			801/460-1883 digital pager

Q.	What's the trouble with writing an MS-DOS program to emulate Clinton?
A.	Figuring out what to do with the other 639K of memory.