Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995 (fwd)

On Thu, 13 Jul 1995, Marshall Clow wrote:

> >    "Sec. 1030A.  Racketeering-related crimes involving computers
> >      "(a) It shall be unlawful--
> >   . . .
> >         "(2) to distribute computer software that encodes or encrypts
> >       electronic or digital communications to computer networks that the
> >       person distributing knows, or reasonably should know, is accessible to
> >       foreign nationals and foreign governments, regardless of whether such
> >       software has been designated nonexportable."
> >
> So much for compression software, too. :-(
> Pst! Anyone want a copy of gzip? PKZip? Drop*Stuff?

Those of you who have done complexity theory will take issue with the
word 'encode'--the fact that it is binary is an encoding scheme--a simple
one, but an encoding scheme in a language L2 nonetheless.

Ben.
____
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant,
and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those
teachers.-- K. Gibran. SUPPORT THE PHIL ZIMMERMANN LEGAL DEFENSE FUND!
For information Email: [email protected]       http://www.netresponse.com/zldf