private idaho

I am trying to run Private Idaho. I tried the 2.1 version as well as the new
beta version. I have all the files in the same directory as PGP. When I
create a message and select clear sign it spawns a dos box that is all black
with the cursor in the top left corner. If I hit return it closes the box
and gives the following message:

File not found in the sign routine, couldn't create output file.

Any ideas on what might cause this or pointers to additional information
would be welcome.
Steven Ryan
[email protected]