mistake on my part

Perry Metzger <[email protected]> writes on cpunks:
> I made a small mistake -- the new bill does *not* make it a crime to
> make crypto software available at Egghead -- but it does more or
> less make distribution of crypto software over the internet
> impossible if it isn't an escrow based system.

I thought there was some kind of "read my lips" type statement about
not mandating key escrow a short while ago.  Making it illegal to not
use escrow on the internet (in the US and certain materials) sounds
dangerously close to mandating key escrow.

Also I remember one list member making a prediction, that as they'd
said _definately no key escrow_, that you could bet your ass that
meant exactly the opposite, and that it would rear it's head anytime
soon.  I think the poster even had a prediction in terms of months,
but don't have the original post handy, looks like he was right.

Anyway these things are in stages:

1. voluntary key escrow
2. mandatory key escrow for certain materials
3. mandatory key escrow across the board

If they pull this off stage 2, I wonder how long till stage 3, I think
it'll be time to leave the sinking ship while exit visas are still
granted!

Adam
--
M83PL=@FR8ES%:6Q"(F9A#)K!&_;X4TXZ?(T]6(]`>$*.^]3K*K["(239)\@F