(none)

 In message
<Pine.ULT.3.91.950713200640.19067A-100000@krypton.mankato.msus.edu> "Robert A. Hayden" writes:

 [major cuts everywhere]

 > I've received about a dozen requests to clarify my rant earlier about
 > what I think needs to be done about the future of the CPs and the net,
 > now that the official declaration of war has been made by the government.

 Let's all take a deep breath here. If the Grassley bill becomes
 law, this sort of talk may have merit. At this stage, it's too
 strong.  So far the only declaration made is by one or more
 Senators, not "the government".

> 2)	PUSH FOR UNIVERSAL DIGITAL SIGNATURES
> In my version of utopia, all digital messages are signed.  Unfortunately,
> right now, there are no mechanisms in place to achieve that.

 Sadly, the American Bar Association project that is writing model
 legislation for this has been delayed.  A public discussion
 draft, which should really move the ball forward, is not going
 to happen until after our next meeting in August.  Expect
 something published on the web in mid-September. Model
 legislation is needed to sort out liability issues, for example,
 without which large companies are afraid to enter the business.

 --
 Michael Froomkin                   until Aug 6: [email protected]
 U.Miami School of Law                                     London, England