ADMIN: List wipeout and recovery

  Yeghads, it happened again.  Last night at about 22:47 the disk
partition that holds the cypherpunks mail list filled up and when
someone tryed to sub/un-scribe using Majordomo the list got zeroed.
  No one broke into the system to do any evil, it's just confusion,
rotten software and poor management by yours truley that casued the
problem.
  Next problem was that toad.com had changed a lot in the last 9
months, and we had moved things about in such a way that I did not
seem to have any backups of the file!  Today our gracious host, John
Gilmore called up to see what the problem was and if there was any way
to fixit.  Using two heads was better than one and we realized that we
had a online backup only 2 days old.  Minutes later it was installed
and the list is back to where it was late on 1995/07/11.

  So, some of you will need to un-subscribe again, our apologies about
that.  I will dig out the lost messages and make a digest-ish like
post of everything that was posted since about 22:30 last night.

  I will also look at moving away from MajorDomo as list software due
to its being moribund, old, stupid and bothersome!

  Thanks also goes to L. McCarthy <[email protected]> for sending
pleasant email to the right folks ([email protected] is best)
to lets us know that there was a problem.

  If you have any questions please send them directly to me as the
list is allready full of off topic posts (big hint folks...).

		||ugh Daniel
		Majordomo Potty Trainer
		[email protected]