Is it legal for commercial companies to use PGP?

Hi,

I was reading in some Where to Get PGP Web page that "PGP2.6.2 is legal
to use in the U.S. for non-commercial purposes (i.e., you cannot sell it
or the functionality it provides)".  Can anyone on the list say whether
this is true?  That is, was the use of "i.e." correct, or should it have
been "e.g."?

Or, to put it more succinctly, I was talking to one of the sys admins at
A-B, and he said that we weren't allowed to use PGP to encrypt our mail,
because Viacrypt owned the commercial rights.  But, according to the bit
I quoted, it would only be a violation if A-B tried to put PGP into one
of their products.

Has anyone heard a (hopefully legal, but I'll listen to anyone's
opinion) answer to this?

thanks,
tw

--

Well, Bust My Britches!  Eggs Almondine and a Bottle of Beaujolais!