Zimmerman legal fund

I just received a bit of mail asking about the Zimmermann Legal
Defense Fund, which, like many folks out there, I support.  The writer
implied that he might give money because I suggest it in my sig, but
expressed questions about its legitamacy, and questioned if it's "just
someone trying to exploit the Zimmerman case"

Could someone in the know talk about the relationship between FV and
the ZLDF? I don't like to spread misinformation, so I won't answer
based on conjectures.