Re: A Chronology on crypto bans

At 04:08 PM 7/16/95 -0400, Dave Banisar wrote:

>Attempts to ban encryption 1977-1995
>
>1977-1980 NSA Director Inman calls crypto born secret. Should be restricted.
>Attempts to use Invention Secrecy Act of 1951 to patent inventions by
>academic researchers. Attempts to use export control laws to limit
>scientific discussion.

>NSA Threatens NSF over grants for crypto studies.

I hope that you emphasize the big impact of the IEEE/MIT/Scientific American/NSA/"A Proposal for a Public Key Encryption System" flap of 1978(?).

An awful lot of people first learned about public-key/private-key algorithms because of that fight.

DCF

"You men can't fight in here.  This is the War Room." -- Dr. Strangelove (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb).