Re: Netscape the Big Win

> Luckily, Netscape recently hired Taher Elgamal
> and he's a smart guy. Unfortunately, he seems to be in a
> position where he has to defend the fairly bad work they did already.

When I first saw him speak at the Danvers IETF I thought "gee, does this
bozo know he shares the same last name as a real bright guy"?  I think it
was Perry, for example, that pointed out that using one RC4 stream for
each comm half was more-or-less obvious and standard practice.

At last month's World Wide Web Consortium working group meeting on security,
everyone trashed SSL.  Everyone trashed the W3C for not just picking SHTTP
but instead trying to invent something new that "borrowed from" SHTTP.
Tahir was silent on the former, but didn't disagree on the latter.  During
a break, in the hallway he mentioned how he's gonna have to do some
politicking back at the office, and that he's glad someone reasonable like
him came, and not other folks he could name.

> Netscape is a closed system. You can't write code for it unless you
> work for Netscape.

I thought they announced their intent to support java.
	/r$