Re: Java (was Netscape: the big win) (fwd)

On Thu, 20 Jul 1995, Bill Stewart wrote:

> At 06:04 PM 7/20/95 -0800, Douglas Barnes wrote:
> >Uh, no, this is a standalone Java program (includes interpreter,
> >language library, etc.)
> >
> >Applets are treated by a browser in the same way that a GIF is treated
> >(more or less); the browser may have to grab more memory to take in
> >a big one, but that memory can be reclaimed when the user moves on to
> >a new page.
> >
> >Applets run as a thread within a multi-threaded browser, they don't
> >have their own processes, etc.
>
> Good.  Any guesses how big a basic "Hello, World" applet would be?
> Maybe 10K?
> #                                Thanks;  Bill
> # Bill Stewart, Freelance Information Architect, [email protected]

While true certain small programs may be larger in size; the difference
will decrease as the programs grow in complexity. With the natural stong
point of true object oriented code reusing more code as the program grows
the difference may still measurably be there but will be hardly noticeable.

<IMHO> it is the future of the net

I see this being the last step that get's coporations on the net ...  making
money in a *relativly* secure way ... good or bad is another thread which I
don't want to be a part of.

-Mike

*       Mike Bailey                     (hm)214-252-3915                 *
*       AT&T Capital Corporation.       (wk)214-456-4510                 *
*       email [email protected]       host bambam.computek.net         *
*   "Remember you can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish -Joe Walsh"   *
*               http://www.computek.net/public/bailey/                   *