Re: And another thing...

> As usual, one final question came to mind right after
> sending the last message:
>
> Why is Java the next hot thing instead of Telescript?
>
> Was Telescript ever opened up for general use or was it
> mainly used for AT&T's Personalink network?
>
> Phil

Unless I'm mistaken, Telescript was part of General Magic's technology.
Besides the language deficiencies, IMHO, they would release almost
nothing to the general developers, much less a sample implementation
to be ported.  It's almost impossible to develop for: you need a souped
up MAC, a developer PDA, etc...

(I'm talking about Magic Cap (the OS) development in which I think the
language was called Telescript.)

Compared to a powerful Unix development environment (if and when it gets
ported to Linux, HPUX, or SGI that I use...(no longer in a Sun shop),
it really seem awful.  It was also very buggy as late as mid last
year.

OTOH, I wrote a piece of software that interprets the raw async data from
satellite and chops it into articles.  (Reuters special feed for Magic
Cap clients...)

sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams 25Feb1965 VW,OH (FBI ID) [email protected] http://www.lig.net/sdw
Consultant, Vienna,VA Mar95- 703-918-1491W 43392 Wayside Cir.,Ashburn, VA 22011