Re: Netscape the Big Win

Rich Salz writes:
> > Well, X.509 for now. The Eastlake-Kaufman DNS Security work
> > (draft-ietf-dnssec-secext-04.txt) plus MOSS (draft-ietf-pem-mime-08.txt
> > --now proposed standard, awaiting an RFC number) promise to give us
> > a non-X.509 certification structure for the Internet.
>
> I have serious concerns about whether the DNS stuff will really scale.
> It's gonna blow out DNS server memory use, and the bigger packets means
> a *lot* more TCP (vs UDP) activity.

I'm not that worried. HESIOD has already shown that you can afford to
store really mongo databases in the DNS, and with caching I suspect
the TCP activity isn't going to be over very wide distances for the
most part. However, we will likely find out the answers in the next
few months.

Perry

PS Cypherpunks write code.