Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995 (fwd)

On Thu, 20 Jul 1995, Mole Rat wrote:

>      Sounds like an untapped market segment.  In which periodicals
>      should one advertise consulting services in order to cover the
>      mobster market?

For those of the anonymous pay-me-in-(digitial/physical)-cash only
underground types, yes.

>      Seriously, I imagine that organized crime, like any other
>      business, uses computers.  Their level of crypto usage could be
>      impressive, given the incentives.

Speculation of course.  No better, or closer to the truth either one way
or the other?  (Any of you anons work for the mob?  if so, is the mob
'puter-happy?)

>      "There is no honor among thieves."  Wiretaps, bugs, tails,
>      informants, and good, old-fashioned, physical intimidation
>      probably produce plenty of leads.

Two logical possibilities.

  0. Mobsters still get caught and thrown in jail.
  1. They don't use crypto at all.  All records are in the open and
searchable.  LEA's wet dream.
  2. They use strong crypto and can't be caught at all.  LEA's nightmare.
  3. They use crypto, but are still catchable (oops, the secret is out of
the bag now, cancel all the computer related RICO nonsense.)
  4. They don't use crypto, but keep no records, or hide them well.  They
can still be caught by LEA's.

  3 & 4 are the most likely, and the LEA's shameful little secret.  They
cry wolf to set a wolf trap, but meanwhile they're hunting wabbits, not
wolves.

>      I wasn't entirely facetious above about working for the mob,
>      they probably pay well and don't bother with FICA and such.  Plus
>      there's that "family" atmosphere....

Errmm.. precisely the reason to stay away from them.  While the first few
parts of your above paragraph are quite tempting, the last sentence is
deadly.  You can't quit from your "family" without cement shoes.  So I'll
stay away from that line of ...um... work.

=================================================================93=======
 + ^ + |  Ray Arachelian | Amerika: The land of the Freeh. | \-_    _-/  |
  \|/  |[email protected]| Where day by day, yet another   |  \  --  /   |
<--+-->|                 | Constitutional right vanishes.  |6 _\-  -/_  6|
 + v + | "No" to the NSA!| Jail the censor, not the author!|     \/      |
      /  I watched and weeped as the Exon bill passed, knowing that yet /
     / another freedom vanished before my eyes.  How soon before we see/
    /a full scale dictatorship in the name of decency? While the rest /
   /of_the_world_fights_FOR_freedom,_our_gov'ment_fights_our_freedom_/