Re: Encrypting block driver for Linux...need some advice

On Wed, 26 Jul 1995, Johnathan Corgan wrote:

> Another, more crypto related question--how to deal with IV's?  Right now,
> I'm using 512 byte sectors with CBC.  For each sector, the IV is the
> sector number.  This frustrates the known plaintext attack issue, but I'm
> not sure if such a simple scheme is really effective.  Probably not.

Your scheme should be OK.  If you'd chosen the same IV for each sector
then identical sectors would encrypt the same.  If I remember rightly
then having a known IV only affects the security of the first block,
after that the ciphertext chaining comes into effect.

- Andy

| Andrew Brown  Internet <[email protected]>  Telephone +44 115 952 0585    |
| PGP (2048/9611055D): 69 AA EF 72 80 7A 63 3A  C0 1F 9F 66 64 02 4C 88   |